Developing A Public Relations Plan, Part 1
Imagine that you are employed at one of the organizations mentioned in the text that has been involved in a scandal or crisis. Make sure to choose an organization that we have not discussed in class.
Examples of organizations that you could choose to write about include the following:
- Michigan State University (MSU) faced claims in 2018 from more than 300 women and girls who were allegedly assaulted by MSU sports doctor Larry Nassar.
- Penn State University’s $100 million-plus settlement involving the football coach Jerry Sandusky in a sexual abuse scandal that brought down famed football coach Joe Paterno.
- Planned Parenthood scrutinized by the media in 2015 when an anti-abortion group secretly filmed unsuspecting representatives talking about getting money for aborted fetal parts.
- The Humane Society of the United States’ chief executive forced to step down in 2018 for alleged history of sexual misconduct.
- The Simpsons and the Apu Crisis (Brown Face Scandal).
- Theranos scandal and CEO Elizabeth Holmes.
- NPR and the firing of Garrison Keillor for sexual harassment.
- Rolling Stone magazine sued for defamation in 2016 in connection with a story about gang rape at the University of Virginia.
- Facebook scandal involving Russian advertisements to influence the 2016 presidential campaign.
- Disney’s credibility questioned when it laid off 250 employees in 2015 and replaced them with lower-paid immigrants.
- If you are not sure what organization to choose from, please send an e-mail to your instructor for clarification.
Write a 4–5 page paper in which you:
- State the name of the organization and describe its mission and purpose. Provide details about the company.
- Explain in detail the facts of the event that generated negative publicity, crisis, or scandal. Discuss why this situation would create negative publicity.
- Create the specific goals your campaign will try to achieve and justify why you chose these goals.
- Design and explain the steps you will take to achieve your goals.
- Discuss six of the ethical core values that a PR professional should employ in responding to the crisis (Chapter 6). Identify the internal and external stakeholders who will be affected by your actions.
- Compose an evaluation plan and explain how you will use it to assess the outcome of your campaign.
- Additional Requirements
- Include a conclusion to summarize your points.
- Include in-text citations when presenting information from other sources. You should begin your search for sources in the Strayer Library.
- Use a minimum of three credible, relevant, and appropriate sources.
- Include a sources page at the end of your paper.
- Limit the use of quotes (no more than 10% of direct quotes in body of paper). Paraphrase content to demonstrate your understanding of the material.
- Include 7–8 headings to organize the paper by various sections or topics.
- You will use the following template to create Part 1 of your Public Relations Plan: Public Relations Plan, Part 1 – TEMPLATE
- Note: Source pages are not included in the 4–5 page count.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Create a plan for achieving publicity campaign goals and evaluating outcomes.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."